Now like I said in my Halloween Horrors post, I love this time of year almost as much as I love eating cake! So what better way to combine the two and write about my favourite Halloween goodies, spooky cookies to bandage buns. Messy and mad I will warn you! but its great fun taste testing and getting covered in cake!
For the cookie base, I used the cookie mixture from Tanya Burrs “Tanya Bakes”.
300g caster sugar
1 large egg
275g self-raising flour
The recipe does say to add 75g of cocoa powder but seeing as we were decorating the top with chocolate I opted to leave this out.
For the spider itself, you will need:-
- A Rolo for each spider
- Chocolate spread or melted chocolate for the spider legs
- white chocolate buttons or hard candy eyes.
- Cooling tray
- baking tray
- piping bag optional
1) Start by baking the cookie mixture.
2) Once out of the oven but still hot, press the centre of each cookie with the back of a spoon to create a dip.
3) If using chocolate spread you can spoon the mixture into a piping bag or funnel using the smallest nozzle available. Using your chocolate mixture pipe a small amount into the dip you created and place the Rolo on top
4) If using bars of chocolate, heat the chocolate in a bowl in bursts of ten seconds in the microwave and spoon into pipping back and drizzle over cookies to create legs.
5) Using some of the leftover chocolate from the legs, you can use this to stick the eyes to the Rolo.
Now all the decorating is complete, it is time to enjoy! This recipe may be quick and relatively hassle-free but they fit the part with the fun and funky Halloween. Perfect for a party with kids and adults, let’s face it….cookies, caramel and chocolate what’s not to like. What homemade Halloween treats have you tried? Let me know below!
Until the next one,